Organized and taking place on the unceded territory of the Coast Salish peoples, specifically the xʷməθkwəy̓əm, Sḵwx̱wú7mesh, & Səl̓ílwətaɁɬ nations. This event stands in solidarity with Indigenous peoples in their struggle for autonomy and self-determination. We understand that the gender binary is a colonial construct, and affirm the diversity of gender identity and gender expression of people around the world, especially those who are reclaiming identities and roles lost, erased, and vilified due to colonization.
It’s official! Our calendar for the 2019 Vancouver Trans Week of Resilience is released! Check out a variety of events happening throughout the week-ish in so-called East Vancouver. Join us for our 2nd year in grassroots organizing by trans communities and allies.
We have a variety of opportunities for community building, learning and unlearning, networking, growing, healing, and having fun! some examples of events:
- Trans BIPOC Remembrance Round
- Women’s Drop-in
- Street & Protest Art Workshop
- QTBIPOC Talent Show Pop-up
- Intro to Power Tools
- & so much more!
The best place to see everything TWOR has to offer is here: https://vancouvertdor.com/events.
Some events are women-only, trans-only, QTBIPOC-only, or are welcome to everyone. Please look at each particular event for more details.
Our mission is to gather resources and support for Two Spirit, trans, and gender nonconforming communities to organize and participate in a variety of events and opportunities for ourselves and each other.
We envision the creation of safer spaces to learn, grow, heal, and build individual and community capacity to navigate day-to-day struggles and to resist hatred and violence.
Trans Week of Resilience was created by trans people in the United States to widen the focus of Trans Day of Remembrance and honour and celebrate the living trans community, especially trans people of colour, alongside memorializing those murdered and killed by anti-trans violence.
“For trans people of color to not only survive, but thrive, we need to reimagine our world.” (https://www.tdor.co/about)
How you can help:
- Spread the word! Pass this on throughout your networks! Ask your circles if they have heard about TDOR and TWOR 🙂
- 2019 Trans Week of Resilience and put it up where you work and in places you visit!
- Please help us mitigate our facebook shadow ban by boosting our events, sharing it on your own pages, inviting your friends list, and clicking “going” 😉
- Message us to volunteer! Email vantdor@gmail. com.
- Donate! Proceeds will go to recovering costs of hosting TWOR and to the creation of a Trans Resiliency Fund – an initiative to support urgent and emergency needs of our local trans and sex worker communities. Stay tuned for more info!
- Please distribute our letter re: SFU hosting supremacists on campus and our call to divest from the university: https://vancouvertdor.com/2019/10/28/letter-to-sfu/
We look forward to seeing you this week!
If you have any questions or accessibility requests, please contact us at vantdor@ gmail. com.
Visit our most up-to-date calendar: https://www.vancouvertdor.com/events.